Some people think eating healthy is only important for losing weight. Although there is some truth in that, they are many other notable benefits attributed from having a healthier diet. Your brain just like any other part of your body feeds off of the foods you consume. How do you think your brain will function if your diet is poor? If eating a cheeseburger and fries effects your body negatively, it will most certainly effect your mind negatively. I personally believe that the healthier your diet is the more positive your mood and thoughts become. Certain foods have the essential nutrients to improve brain functions such as memory and the prevention of mental illnesses. I gathered 10 brain healthy foods that should be added into your daily diet.
8 Top Foods For The Brain
1 – Walnuts
- Walnuts are packed with healthy Omega-3 fatty acids, which help improve overall brain functions, keeping your brain happy!
2 – Whole Grains
- Whole grains provide fiber and vitamin E, which has been found to improve the circulation of blood to the brain.
3 – Berries
- Berries are packed with antioxidants that fight the free radicals in the body and protects your brain from the oxidation process.
4 – Avocados
- Avocados are full of monounsaturated fats which has been shown to improve blood flow to the whole body. The more blood flowing means the more blood feeding the brain!
5 – Salmon
- Salmon, like walnuts is FULL of Omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3’s are very important maintaining brain health. 60% of a healthy brain is Omega-3 fats, they help transport the important chemicals, serotonin and dopamine to the brain.
6 – Dark chocolate
- Dark chocolate, has very powerful antioxidant properties and contains natural stimulants that increase the production of endorphin. When shopping for dark chocolate try to purchase the one with the most % cocoa and the least amount of sugars.
- Beans stabilize the glucose levels in your blood. The brain needs glucose to survive and can only receive it through external sources. Beans supply the steady amount of glucose needed for optimal brain function.
8 – Tomato Juice
- Tomato juice contains Folate and Lycopene which help keep the arteries strong. With stronger arteries, blood flows smoothly causing more blood to feed the brain!
These foods aren’t only healthy for your body but for your brain as well. If you’re brain is healthy your thoughts and mood will be healthier as well! It is important to treat your whole body with respect and care! I hope these 9 foods are a part of your daily diets! If not, try adding one of them in your diet and work from there!Namaste.