Coconuts have rapidly gained popularity in the western world in recent years and for good reason! Not that long ago coconuts were actually considered to be artery clogging and cholesterol packed food that contribute to heart disease. As science progressed and recent studies were done, researchers discovered that the health benefits of coconuts are in fact very positive and beneficial for us. This miracle food is packed with fiber and the essential vitamins and minerals and not to mention coconut has almost 2 times the amount of potassium as bananas!
Types of Coconuts
Fresh coconuts can either be young or mature. The mature coconut is the brown-haired ball like shape found in most grocery stores. The mature coconuts usually contain more meat and less water on the inside. The young coconuts are mainly green mixed with white, and are much larger. Unlike the mature coconut, the youngsters contain much more vitamin enriched water that is also heavily packed with electrolytes, making it an effective sports drink.
Health Benefits of Coconuts
- Provides natural source of energy and enhances athletic performance.
- Improves insulin secretion and reduces symptoms associated with diabetes.
- Promotes weight loss.
- Packed with electrolytes and vitamins.
- Prevents kidney disease and bladder infections.
- Improves digestion and absorption of nutrients, vitamins and minerals.
- Strengthens immune system.
- Restores and supports thyroid function.
- Keeps hair shiny
- Prevents symptoms of aging, prevents wrinkles, sagging skin, age spots and is a natural sun screen.
- Improves good cholesterol (HDL)
- Tastes amazing.
Hopefully this has convinced you to try a coconut! The health benefits alone speak for themselves. Not only does it taste incredible, it could be the missing ingredient in your life! I can’t praise coconut oil enough, not only does it add flavor to your meals its health benefits are very important. And lastly coconut water is an excellent natural re-hydrating agent that can be used as a healthier more effective sports drink.